Who are we?
Kids West is a local children’s charity that raises funds for Medical research, for development and distribution of educational programs in accident awareness, and for medical equipment for children living in western Sydney.
Kids West has been supporting Paediatric and Neonatal intensive care units across western Sydney for over 20 years, working to make a positive impact on children’s lives and supporting families through what is always a difficult time.
Kids West was founded in 1991 by Trevor Oldfield and Professor Reuben Dubois of Westmead Hospital. We were formed to raise much needed funds for the Hospitals in Sydney’s Western region.
Kids West has successfully recruited Board member volunteers from NSW Police, Ambulance and Fire brigades as well as local business leaders, doctors, nurses and those with Administrative skills. This has placed us in a unique and powerful position to raise funds and ensure that those funds are distributed to areas giving the best result possible for our community.
â€‹Recognising the shortage of crucial equipment and resources in Hospitals such as Auburn, Westmead, Mt Druitt and Nepean, Kids West was welcomed as a no frills charity who aimed at identifying the real needs and filling gaps wherever possible.
As at 2014 Kids West have donated in excess of $4.6m to various areas throughout Western Sydney;
- purchasing equipment such as intensive care beds, monitors for burns victims, specially designed wheelchairs, play equipment to help a child’s stay in Hospital be more enjoyable,
- sponsorship of breakfast programs in schools where children have no opportunity for breakfast something many of us often take for granted,
- sponsorship of sporting teams compiled of intellectually disabled children,
- inaugural sponsors of the Shaken Baby Prevention Project at Westmead Children’s Hospital educating parents on the dangers of shaking their baby and how to cope with the many stressful situations,
- support of the Adolescent unit at Westmead Hospital providing guidance and support to those suffering from Anorexia Nervosa,
- Support of Research into illnesses such as Childhood Cancer, Cystic Fibrosis, asthma and Epilepsy.
We are proud to have worked alongside many other charities for a common goal, such as Ronald McDonald House, The Millennium Foundation, Canteen and many pre-Schools and Day Care centres.
With Community support Kids West will continue to fill the gaps making our Children’s lives a little healthier and happier.
Looking forward the Kids West team are working hard on forming new partnerships with corporates and other community organisations to find new ways to generate funds so that it can continue to support the children of western Sydney.
“We believe that through our ability to provide much needed equipment, education and through accident awareness programmes we will Prevent Serious Accidents and Save Lives“.
Kids West are truly grateful and we cannot thank all of our clients and supporters enough for your beautiful donations. We will continue to raise money and donate many pieces of equipment for many generations to come with your continued support.
“Our Kids are Our Future”
Trevor Oldfield AM KSJ JP